33 Things to do in Gran Canaria, Spain
Gran Canaria, Spain is a stunning and vibrant vacation destination offering an array of things to see and do during your stay. This sunny island is home to many gorgeous beaches, charming villages, interesting archaeological sites, and stunning natural attractions. Whether you’re planning a more active holiday or looking for some rest and relaxation Gran Canaria has something for everyone. To help you plan your trip here are 33 Things to do in Gran Canaria that should be added to your itinerary:
1. Explore the Idyllic Beaches: Gran Canaria is known for its idyllic beaches with crystal-clear water perfect for swimming and sunbathing. Beach areas like Las Canteras Beach in Las Palmas city offer not just beach time but also plenty of cafes and bars for a break from the sun.
2. Visit Roque Nublo: Gran Canaria’s most iconic landmark is the impressive Roque Nublo situated in the highland center of Gran Canaria. This rock formation stands over 1650 meters above sea level and offers stunning views of Gran Canaria’s interior landscape.
3. Take a Walk Around Vegueta Old Town: Gran Canaria’s oldest neighborhood, Vegueta Old Town is located in Las Palmas city and features charming streets lined with historic buildings and monuments. There are many interesting shops to explore as well as great restaurants to sample local cuisine.
4. Relax at the Maspalomas Dunes: Gran Canaria’s spectacular sand dunes at Maspalomas are a must-see for any holidaymaker. The rolling dunes stretch for miles and provide some of the most beautiful coastal views on Gran Canaria.
5. Visit Puerto de Mogán: Nicknamed Little Venice, Gran Canaria’s charming fishing village of Puerto de Mogán offers a peaceful atmosphere with its canals, bridges and brightly colored buildings. This is an ideal spot to relax away from the popular resorts.
6. Explore Gran Canaria’s Natural Parks: Gran Canaria has several national parks offering plenty of hiking opportunities through lush green landscapes and rugged volcanic terrain such as Bandama Natural Park and Gran Canaria Rural Park.
7. Take a Ride on Gran Canaria’s Cable Car: Gran Canaria’s cable car takes passengers to the top of Gran Canaria’s highest peak, Pico de las Nieves, offering spectacular views over the island.
8. Visit Las Palmas Art Museum: Gran Canaria is home to many interesting museums such as the Museo Elder de la Ciencia y Tecnología in Las Palmas city which offers interactive displays and exhibitions about science, technology, and art.
9. Go Shopping at Playa del Ingles: Enjoy some retail therapy at Gran Canaria’s most popular shopping destination – Playa del Ingles. This area is home to a number of large shopping malls, designer boutiques and independent stores offering gifts, souvenirs and more.
10. Visit Gran Canaria’s Historical Sites: Gran Canaria offers plenty of opportunities to explore its history with archaeological sites such as Cueva Pintada in Galdar and ancient churches in Agaete.
11. Take a Boat Trip Around Gran Canaria: Gran Canaria is surrounded by crystal-clear waters where you can take boat trips around the island or even further out for dolphin spotting or deep-sea fishing expeditions.
12. Sample Local Cuisine: Gran Canaria has some of the best Spanish cuisine on offer with dishes like pisto, papas arrugadas (wrinkled potatoes) and fresh seafood.
13. Enjoy Gran Canaria’s Nightlife: Gran Canaria is well known for its vibrant nightlife with plenty of bars, clubs and pubs offering everything from traditional Spanish music to dance-music parties.
14. Take Part in an Adventure Activity: Gran Canaria has a great selection of adventure activities such as quad biking, rock climbing and surf lessons that are great fun for both adults and children alike.
15. Explore Gran Canaria’s Water Parks: Gran Canaria’s water parks offer visitors the chance to cool off in the summer months while enjoying thrilling slides and wave pools like Aqualand Maspalomas and Gran Canaria Aquapark.
16. Visit Gran Canaria’s Lighthouses: Gran Canaria is home to a number of beautiful lighthouses along its rugged coastline, including the iconic Faro de Maspalomas near Playa del Ingles.
17. Go Exploring in Gran Canaria’s Caves: Gran Canaria’s interior landscape is a great place to explore with several caves such as Jardin de las Aguas cave which houses an underground lake.
18. Take Part in Gran Canarias Festivals: Gran Canaria has plenty of festivals throughout the year such as Las Hogueras de San Juan (Bonfire Festival) and Gran Canaria Carnival in the capital city of Las Palmas.
19. Learn Gran Canaria’s History: Gran Canaria has a long history, which can be explored at the Museo Histórico Municipal in Las Palmas or by taking part in one of Gran Canaria’s historical walking tours.
20. Go to Gran Canaria’s Animal Sanctuaries: Gran Canaria is home to several animal sanctuaries such as Granja El Hornillo where visitors can learn more about local wildlife and rescue centers like the Fundación ProAnimal Maspalomas who work hard to protect animals on the island.
21. Enjoy Gran Canarias Beaches: Gran Canaria has some incredible beaches with golden sands, crystal-clear waters and plenty of activities such as diving and snorkelling. The most popular beaches on Gran Canaria are Las Canteras beach in Las Palmas, Playa de Amadores near Puerto Rico, and Maspalomas Beach near Gran Canaria’s sand dunes.
22. Discover Gran Canaria’s Natural Wonders: Gran Canaria’s natural wonders include the Roque Nublo (one of Gran Canaria’s famous rock formations), Tamadaba Nature Park, Roque Bentayga (a volcanic crater) and Tufia archaeological site which showcases Gran Canaria’s fascinating history.
23. Take a Trip to Gran Canaria’s Markets: Gran Canaria has several markets that offer fresh produce and local products such as Gran Canaria’s Farmers Market in Las Palmas, the Gran Canaria Fish Market in Puerto de Mogan and Gran Canaria’s Crafts Market in Tejeda.
24. Take a Hike on Gran Canaria: Gran Canaria has some spectacular landscapes to explore with many beautiful walking routes such as Pico de las Nieves trail, Pilancones Nature Reserve and Barranco de Guayadeque which is great for hiking.
25. Visit Gran Canaria’s Art Galleries: Gran Canaria is home to several art galleries featuring modern, contemporary and traditional art from both local and international artists such as Gran Canaria Museum of Contemporary Art, Gran Canaria Museum of Modern Art and Fundacion Cristino de Vera.
26. Sample Gran Canaria’s Local Cuisine: Gran Canaria has some delicious local dishes that are sure to tantalize your taste buds such as Canary Island wrinkled potatoes (papas arrugadas), milhojas de cabra (goat cheese pancakes) and bienmesabe (a sweet almond dessert).
27. Take a Trip to Gran Canaria’s Nature Parks: Gran Canaria is home to several nature parks where visitors can observe the island’s rich wildlife in its natural habitats such as Palmitos Park and El Pinar Natural Park.
28. Go Shopping at Gran Canaria’s Shopping Centers: Gran Canaria is home to several shopping centers such as Gran Plaza, CuraMall and Gran Canaria Shopping Center where visitors can find everything from high-street fashion stores to designer boutiques.
29. Visit Gran Canarias Botanical Gardens: Gran Canaria’s botanical gardens are a great place to explore the island’s unique flora and fauna with popular attractions including Jardin Botanico Viera y Clavijo, Gran Canaria Botanical Garden and the Roque Nublo botanical garden.
30. Have Fun at Gran Canarias Theme Parks: Gran Canaria has several theme parks that offer fun for all ages such as Gran Karting Gran Canaria, Holiday World Maspalomas and Sioux City Gran Canaria.
31. Experience Gran Canaria’s Nightlife: Gran Canaria’s nightlife is full of surprises with something for everyone from lively bars in the capital city to bustling nightclubs along the coast. Popular hangouts include La Sandwicherie in Las Palmas, Red & Black Bar and Incosol Gran Canaria.
32. Try Out Gran Canarias Water Sports: Gran Canaria offers a wide range of water sports activities such as scuba diving, windsurfing, kayaking and sailing that are sure to keep visitors entertained throughout their stay on the island.
33. Explore Gran Canaria’s Historic Monuments: Gran Canaria is home to several historic monuments such as the Guanches’ Gran Chigore castle, the San Felipe fortress and the Castillo de la Luz which are all well worth a visit.
These 33 things to do in Gran Canaria, Spain are sure to keep you busy during your visit – why not try them all? From exploring Gran Canaria’s natural wonders to sampling its local cuisine, there’s something for everyone on this beautiful island. So what are you waiting for – start planning your trip today!